Thanks to the great and massive contribution of Alexey Eromenko, alias “Technologov”, VirtualBox is now supported in GNS3. Alexey has also added many improvements and fixed bugs, which make his unofficial GNS3 VirtualBox Edition the best GNS3 to date and the one we recommend to use while we are merging Alexey’s contribution to our official branch.
Also, the next official version of GNS3 should be released around October or November, besides merging Alexey’s contribution, GNS3 is going to undertake major changes (redesigning, code refactoring, new unit testing etc.) with the arrival of a new team of programmers from EPITECH Paris to work on the project. This should definitevely helps GNS3 to reach a new level of usability and we are very enthusiastic about it. This will be the topic of our next news in a couple of months.
GNS3 VirtualBox Edition 0.8.1 is available on our download page. Please see below for the changes.
- VirtualBox support (v4.1 required)
- Wireshark Live Traffic Capture
- Basic IPv6 enablement
- Basic Netbook enablement
- Architecture: On Windows, GNS3 now runs from source code
- Architecture: PEMU is now moved from GNS3 core to a separate component. (PEMU will be part of Windows “All-in-One” installer)
- Architecture: Resolved conflict with Debian’s built-in GNS3 package. On Linux, setup is no longer needed.
- Dynagen Console got a massive rewrite / cleanup
- Russian translation got a major update
Other Changes and Fixes:
- Windows Setup was rewritten from scratch
- Changed Default Qemu Ethernet Controller from “e1000″ to “Realtek 8139″ for Windows XP compatibility.
- GUI: Swapped AUX & Console icons – more convenient to have “console” button near “start” button.
- Disallowed to hot-add new links to running Qemu.
- Fixed VM states coherency between Dynagen’s Console and GNS3.
- Several fixes for using GNS3 with external qemu/vboxwrappers (multi-host distributed topologies)
- GUI: Disabled Linux features on Windows hosts. (KVM, NIO_VDE, NIO_UNIX and NIO Linux Ethernet)
- GUI: Disallowed connecting devices with incorrect link types, such as Frame-Relay switches with Ethernet cable.
- Fixed the problem of filled WIC slots in Routers (0.7.4 Regression; UldisD’s case)
- Fixed SecureCRT (SARS’ case, minor bug; Windows hosting only)
- Terminal Emulator Settings: sorted & hide non-platform-related options
- Fixed AUX port error messages
- Fixed translation file generator
- Dynagen Console: ‘hypervisors’, ‘ver’ and ‘versions’ commands are now merged into just ‘ver’.
- Dynagen Console: ‘exit’ and ‘disconnect’ commands are now merged into ‘clear topology’.
- Dynagen Console: Removed non-working commands: ‘shell’, ‘cpuinfo’, ‘py’, ‘conf’, ‘confreg’, ‘hypervisor’, ‘end’, ‘send’
- For full list of changes, see “modified.txt”
VirtualBox / vboxwrapper backend features:
- FlexiNetwork: Link hot-add/hot-remove
- Traffic Capture
- Suspend/Resume VMs
- Instant reboot
- “automatic” NIC type (just mirrors existing NIC type)
- Network statistics (Bytes Transmitted / Bytes Received)
- View of Guest OS IP addresses, by retrieving data from Virtual machine (if GuestAdditions installed)
- GuestControl execution; send commands from Dynagen console
- Double-click on VBOX VM brings it’s display window to front.
- Modular design